HOLA MADRID

I visited Madrid for a weekend earlier this year in May and since it was my first time visiting, I was very excited. I had already been severel times to Barcelona, which I loved and after hearing so many good things about Madrid, I was looking forward to compare the two cities myself. For the record I tried to travel on a Budget, so I could get a more local vibe and also because I am not super gross rich.



Ready to take off, wearing Uniqlo sweater, Mango leather Jacket, Zara pants and vintage bag.
Photo taken with a mobile phone.

After arriving in Madrid I took the Metro (Line 8) to the city, the ticket is around 5€ (airport fee). In case of travelling at night, there is also the possibility of taking a taxi, the airport is only 20 minutes from the city.

When I travel to a city that I have never been before, I don't make a schedule. I pick out some things that I want to see or do and the rest of time I love to walk around and get lost in the city and see a different side, that is necessarily not in the guides. In case one is not as fond of walking as I am, all the main sights and places have Metro Stations, each ticket is around 1,50-2€.

MUST SEE:
  • Palacio Real de Madrid
  • Retiro Park
  • Prado Museum

These three sights were the ones I really wanted to see and I loved them. The historic architecure and art is just overwhelming. For the Prado Museum (14€) and to see the rooms of the Palacio Real de Madrid (11€), you have to get a ticket. I promise you it is money well spend, but if you are flexible with your time and travel on a budget, the Palacio and the Prado have free admission times for citizens of the European Union. I would recommend going early and to be patient, since it gets crowded during those times. 

The Palacio Real de Madrid 



The Palace has also a beautiful garden worth exploring.
Wearing H&M Top and Shorts.

The court of the Palace is not only beautiful, but also very bright. So don't forget to bring your sunglasses.

The roof in the entrance hall of the Palacio de Madrid.
Several rooms are open to the public.
The amazing Retiro Park
Feeling like Alice in Wonderland.
The Estanque Grande del Retiro and the Monumento Alfonso XII
And in the middle of park was a palace made of glass.
Palacio de Cristal in the Retiro Park

Inside of the crystal palace.
The Museo del Prado is exhibiting one of the finest and momentous art collections in the world. The museum has several pieces of Velázquez, Botticelli and Rembrandt.
Plaza Mayor de Madrid
Close to the Plaza Mayor is one of the oldest operating restaurants: Sobrino de Botin.
It is on the Forbes Top Ten List of Classic Restaurants.


La Mallorquina is one of the oldest bakeries and was recommended by a local.

Bottles of wine aging in an underground cellar

Inside the Sobrino de Botin. Ernest Hemingway used to have dinner here
The Mercado San Antón offers affordable regional Tapas and has also a cute little hidden restaurant.
The top floor has a restaurant and a bar famous for it's Gin Tonic.




Enjoying dinner in Madrid.


Regional Cheese and Olive Bread.



Plaza de Espana
The Explorer Outfit: Uniqlo star blouse, Zara pants and shoes, Celine bag
Perfect companion for the city, my black bag from Celine

View of the city from the roof top bar El Corte Ingles.

Exploring Madrid by foot, beautiful flower windows.

The last day: After seen the temple of Debod, an ancient egyptian temple, I enjoyed the view of Madrid.
Wearing: Mango top, Zara skirt

Madrid is a perfect getaway for a weekend and you can do it on a moderate budget. I think May and June are good months for sightseeing and walking around during the day, since it is not too hot yet. After walking around all day, I was too tired and did not explore much of the nightlife, but it is always a good idea to leave something to do for the next visit.

No comments

Thanks for your comments:-)